I have been attending a training course at work over the last two days. Three pieces of advice I took away about effective working.
(1) Be clear (and know) what you can and cannot do.
(2) Take care of yourself, so that you can take care of your job.
(3) Always create space for thinking.
I came away thinking that the most important is missing. I would add (4) - always have someone who will honestly challenge you on (1) - (3). Acting on this is priceless.
This is good worldly wisdom which one can readily find appropriate biblical ground. For example :
(1) is all about tackling pride and insecurity. When we are secure in God, we don't need to live up to our jobs. He is our job security. That frees us to admit to stop and do less if we must.
(2) surely is about knowing that we are more important than the job. We are are NOT our job. Our worth is grounded in God himself. But more importantly, the more we act in concert with that truth, we are able to get a proper perspective of our jobs.
(3) surely is where faith meets reason. But it could also be simply about making space to get alone and plan your work with God. Praying through you day job. God is interested in it - so plan together!